With much solo wrenching and excessive force, the old bathtub is out (and sitting on our living room floor). I shored up the water-damaged subfloor and made at least eight trips army-crawling through fifty feet (round trip) of fiberglass in the crawlspace below our house to get things in order. Lying on my back in the dankness with a flashlight strategically propped, trying to operate a drill while fiberglass sprinkled my retinas was not the most pleasant thing I’ve ever done.
I also cemented in new cement board to the subfloor in preparation for the tile floor to come and for a little more support for the floor I didn’t yet completely trust. Good and solid now though. I installed the plumbing for the new tub and with Mary’s help was able to hoist the beast into place. One more trip through the crawlspace to reconnect the plumbing and check for leaks and we now as least have a functioning tub again. I have no idea how long it’s going to take to get the rest done though.