Lots of projects going on the past few weeks. Here’s a floor vent in our living room that I cut a new hole in the floor for. I managed to knock it out while Mary was at the grocery store, so she didn’t have to stress too much watching chunks of our refinished flooring spraying around. And prepping the outside of the house to pull out our old windows.
New walkway in front of the house. Lots and lots of dirt, gravel, sand, and brick hauling. Not done yet, but close. Still need to cut some of the corner/edge patio bricks and fill the gaps with polymeric sand. Looks great though, pretty proud of this project.
And repaired a broken irrigation pipe after getting tired of having a soggy spot in the yard for the past year. I had to dig a trench to drain off the pooled water around the pipe, then cut away a chunk of PVC and repair with a quick-fix telescopic coupler. I’m not a huge fan of plumbing projects, but PVC is easy and outside is easy. The repair seems to be holding just fine.
And just a great time of year to be outside. The garden’s looking good. We’ve been running frost-free since early March now, but everything pictured is pretty cold hardy. Pesto from the garden kale. Radishes. Grilling out.
One window installed! It took me most of a day to get just the one in, fighting with the wrinkles of an old house that already appeared to have been retrofitted with different size windows once before I installed this one. Sooo much better though than the ramshackle mess that was there before. Especially from the inside it looks really nice.
Your place just keeps getting better and better, and you’re doing all the good work yourself! Wish I could borrow your skill and energy out here for a few days. Since having my huge leaning maple taken out, my shady backyard now gets lots of sun. I didn’t think it would be too hard to move some of my shade-loving perennials into the shadier spots left, move some perennials that can tolerate some sun into the vacated sunny spots. Much more complicated than it sounds–at least for me–figuring out what has to be dug up first before other things can be planted. Tree roots from the removed maple have to be worked around And I had no idea that all the wild violets that I love in early spring are so difficult to dig up–deep densely tangled masses of roots almost impossible to detached from any tree roots they’ve wrapped themselves around.
Keep up your good work at your place! Still need to work out a way to get out there to see you all.
It is a lot of work, but I really like doing it myself. It’s nice to know how things are put together if I need to fix something in the future. And we’ve seen enough contractor work at our houses that I’m pretty sure I can do a better job most of the time once I figure out the process.