Previously on lostamoeba… when we last left our fearless leader he was reading books in a library.
So, anyway, I was at the library. I guess I should add that my whole point in going to the library in the first place was to find out if a couple of movies and a book I had placed on hold were ready or not. March of the Penguins was ready (and I must say is a generally captivating film until frozen baby penguins make everything all sad), but my book, No Opportunity Wasted by Phil Keoghan (you know, that Amazing Race host) was not.
Well, I am not a patient man, so I drove to Schuler Books and Music, located the book in the self-help section, found a chair and read the first four chapters. Well, the writing wasn’t superb (but was conversational and easy to follow) and really wasn’t that convincingly inspirational or anything. But the guy definitely seems more geniune than most in trying to push people into more interesting lives. I guess, it was convincing enough to get me thinking about those really spectacular places/things/activities that I’ve seen already and what I still want to do. The end result of all this blather I suppose is that there may be a few lists showing up in my posts in the near future. So here’s a start (I’ll probably add to this list over the next few days or so as I think of things:
Amazing Things I’ve Seen/Done
- Tracked/seen Mountain Gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Uganda.
- Whitewater rafted class V rapids on the Nile River in Jinja, Uganda.
- Safari at Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda.
- Boat ride on the Victoria Nile to Murchison Falls, Uganda.
- Safari at Kruger National Park, South Africa.
- Cable car ride to Table Mountain, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Machu Picchu at sunrise, Peru.
- Boat ride on Lake Titicaca, Bolivia.
- Mayan ruins, Tuluum, Mexico.
- Snorkelling in Atlantic Ocean, Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.
- Living nearly five years in Haiti.
- 35 days in San Juan Mountians, learning mountaineering/survival skills, Outward Bound, Colorado.
- Rockie Mountain National Park, Colorado.
- Delicate Arch, Arches National Park, Utah.
- Class II/III kayaking Colorado River, Utah.
- Bouldering, Joshua Tree National Park, California.
- Surfing Pacific Ocean, Oregon.
- Downtown Amsterdam, Netherlands.